How can my parents and/or Grandparents come to Canada

As part of your PR application your family means your spouse and your children and by that, though you do mention your parent’s details in your application, they do not form part of your family that can accompany you to Canada.

So how can you invite your parents to come to Canda?

Let’s discuss below::: 🙂

There are 3 ways to bring your parents/grandparents to Canada:

1. As a regular visitor (TRV)– They have to apply as a visitor complying with all requirements, of which the most important being showing evidence of ties to home country. This convinces the officer that they will indeed return back after their intended visit before or within the legal period allowed for the stay. This may be single entry or multiple entry at the discretion of the Visa officer and their period of stay will be decided by the border officer on arrival. Insurance is not mandatory but recommended. If no period of stay is indicated by the border officer then it is 6months from the date of entry. This can be further extended for another period of 6months by way of application applied 4 weeks before the expiry of the earlier stay period.

2. On a SuperVisa – The application process is similar to that for a regular TRV. However, additional documentation is required to ensure that the parents and grandparents will be well supported during their time in Canada. There is a minimum income requirement of the applicant’s children in Canada, that needs to be shown at the time of the application.
The minimum list of documents the parent or grandparent must provide is as follows:

A letter of invitation from their child or grandchild residing in Canada;
One of the following documents to prove that the child or grandchild meets income requirements:
A most recent copy of the notice of assessment (if the child or grandchild does not have a paper copy of their notice of assessment on file, they can view and print their tax returns using the CRA My Account online service
A most recent copy of the child or grandchild’s T4 or T1
Original letter from the child or grandchild’s employer stating their job title, job description and salary
Child or grandchild’s employment insurance pay stubs
Proof of the applicant’s parental relationship to the child or grandchild (e.g., a copy of the child or grandchild’s birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official document naming the applicant as the parent)
Proof of private medical insurance valid for a minimum of one year with a Canadian insurance company (a copy of the insurance certificate or policy) that
covers health care, hospitalization, and repatriation,
provides a minimum coverage of $100,000, and
is valid for each entry to Canada and available for review by a port of entry officer.
The maximum validity for the multiple entries Super Visa is ten years, or one month prior to the applicant’s passport’s expiry, whichever is earlier.

Within that time, Super Visa holders can remain in Canada for periods of up to two years. In comparison, a regular visitor visa is usually valid for a maximum period of six months.

For individuals who are citizens of visa-exempt countries, the Super Visa program can still be useful because of that two-year period.

edit: 18th June 2018

Super Visa allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit Canada for extended periods. As of June 18, 2018, the guidance for Super Visa holders has been updated to reflect that each entry to Canada should be for a duration of up to two years and extensions should be for one year. The link for this update is here.

Previous, Super Visa holders were typically granted entry for up to two years on initial entry, and for up to six months on subsequent entries on the discretion of the CBSA officer.

3. Parents Grand Parents PR Visa (PGP) – 2019
This Family Class sponsorship program includes a stream for parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and PR. Successful parents and grandparents under this program will receive Canadian permanent residence and may eventually be able to apply for Canadian citizenship. To be eligible for Family Class sponsorship, the sponsor in Canada must meet the following requirements:

The sponsor (child/grandchild) must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
The sponsor must be 18 years of age or older;
The sponsor must exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program (if married or in a common-law relationship, the income of both can be included);
The sponsor must sign an undertaking to repay any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and accompanying family member(s), if any, for a period of 20 years, if necessary; and
If the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional “undertaking” must be signed.
Sponsors will have to prove that they meet the minimum income requirements by submitting notices of assessment issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) in support of their sponsorship and they must also demonstrate they have met the minimum necessary income level for three consecutive years.

Once the sponsor is eligible he/she need to complete a form as an “Interest to Sponsor” form with CIC. This form may be submitted on a pre-announced date/time. This will usually happen in the month of January and may be repeated again during the year.

After submitting the “Interest to Sponsor” successfully the sponsor will receive the invitation to complete the application, which has to be submitted within 60days. There is no extension of this deadline.

This Interest to Sponsor forms will be accepted on first come first serve basis and therefore moving away from the previously adopted lottery system. There is an expected cap of around 20,000 applications that may be accepted.

More details on this process is available on the CIC website here.

And this is how your parents or grandparents can come to Canada.



Share you views, opinions or feedback

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  • Thanks for very useful, Great information. Please let me know after getting the super visa can the application be submitted for Parents Grand Parents PR Visa (PGP) ?

    • Yes, you may apply for PGP if you are eligible to become a sponsor for your parents. You can file for expression of interest when the intake opens. It has already been closed for 2018 and will reopen early 2019.

    • You apply to be approved as a sponsor and simultaneously apply for spouse and dependent children under family class. For spouse and children sponsorship income requirement is waived off. All details and application guide is available on the CIC website.

  • Thank you for the very informative article. I was wondering how they calculate the minimum income requirements for the last 3 consecutive years.
    Since we get the T4/CRA’s notice of assessment for a year on the end of February usually, but the random lottery application closes on Feb 1st, can we count the previous year for the last 3 consecutive years? I mean do we need to show the last three T4 or notice of assessment while submitting for the lottery or while applying for the application after we have been accepted in the lottery?
    Thank you.

    • You will need to show the income documents once you have benefits picked in the lottery and are submitting final application

      • Hi Kubeir, thanks for the reply. My question was about how the income is calculated. So, for this year’s lottery application, they have mentioned that they need income levels from 2015, 2016 and 2017. But for 2017, how can one show the income documents before the deadline of Feb 1st as the CRA tax documents only show up around the end of February.

        • You are confusing the deadline for the expression of interest with the final application.
          Feb is the deadline for expression of interest where interested families go in a draw.
          Once the names are picked out which happens in March, they then have 90days to submit the final documents. And hence will have enough time for the 2017 tax documents

  • Hi Kubeir,

    Sorry to bother you with another question. I recently heard from one of my friends that the duration for the supervisa for parents can be as little as 6 months also (even for the first time) and is decided by the officer at the port of entry . Is this true?
    Even in the normal scenario where the duration is 2 years, are the parents allowed to stay for 2 years, go out of the country once and come again for 2 years? How is the duration decided in that case? Is the duration decided each time they enter the country ?
    Thank you again .

    • Yes the duration of stay is always at the discretion of border officer at POE. However very rarely do they give less than 2 years for the first stay

      • Thanks. Based on your past experience dealing with these situations, how long do they give for next visits after the first one? Is that also 2 years usually? Thank you.

    • This will open in Jan 2019, so you have enough time. The documents required will be posted in the CIC application page.

  • hello kubeir sir,

    Thanks for this information.My question is i am planning to apply for my parents sponsorship in 2020.I will be providing my income proofs for 2017,2018,2019. I got married in 2018, so does she count as part of family for 2017 income requirement?or she just gets accounted as part of family for income requirement purpose for 2018 and 2019. it is quite confusing on canada.ca website and cic.gc.ca website


  • Hello Sir,

    I am a PR. My mother has TRV which we got before COVID 19 situation and we had plans to bring her to Canada as she is all alone in india. I have booked her tickets for journey on 10th July, however I am a bit nervous on whether there would be any issues at the port of entry. She is dependent parent. But dont want her to go through the hassle of reaching Canada and then not being allowed to enter. Please advise. Thank you.

error: Content is protected !!
%d bloggers like this: