– by Adnan Kamal
Are you someone who is looking to take the next step in transforming your business career for the better? Are you looking to hone your skills in a competitive market out in the west?
In this guide I’m going to talk about Canada as an option for your MBA. Canadian Business schools (University of Toronto, Rotmans School of Business, McGill-Desautels) are known worldwide for delivering quality education and honing the necessary skill sets of individuals. Furthermore most of the Canadian Schools are accredited by trusted accreditation bodies such as:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) is the world’s largest business education alliance.
- Association of MBA’s (AMBA) is a global organization that focuses on international business school accreditation and membership.
- European Foundation for Management Development Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) is a school accreditation system.
Quality Education at Affordable Rates; MBA remains one of the world’s most expensive degrees, and in comparison to countries like the UK, USA & Australia, Canada offers high-quality accredited education at far lower tuition rates.
Programs built around a work-ready environment; MBA Programs in Canada are built around a work-centric environment, which basically prepares you to be on-field post graduation. You will be dealing with projects, consultancies, overseas experiences and also have the benefit of being trained by industry professionals.
Work Opportunities and Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP); Canada has embraced a generous approach towards international students working in Canada. You are eligible to apply for a PGWP which allows you to remain in the country, following your graduation. This allows you to work full time at a Canadian company/organization, gaining that valuable Canadian work experience.
The added benefit of this? You have now gathered Canadian Education and Canadian Work Experience. This can qualify and give you an edge over others in ultimately obtaining Permanent Residence in Canada.
A Global Holistic Experience; Canada over the last few years has become one of the places to study in, and this has attracted citizens from across the globe. If you choose to pursue your MBA in Canada, you will be joining a class of global citizens. This will open you up to a wide network of individuals and connections from across the country and the world. Furthermore, Canada has two official languages; English and French. The bilingualism of the country and adding French as your second language can open you up to more opportunities.
Now that we have discussed Canada and the Golden Egg it holds. What are the MBA programs in Canada structured like? What are the prerequisites to admission?
The MBA Structure in Canada is as follows:
- Duration of the Canadian MBA Programs are 2 years, while some can choose the Accelerated MBA Program which ends in 16 months.
- There are two main admission intakes in a year for MBA programs; January and September, where September is the main intake of the year and when most of the MBA Programs begin.
- A Canadian MBA as mentioned previously offers high quality education at lower tuition rates. Canadian MBA Programs average at $50,000 – &60,000 CAD per year. Some programs also cost as low as $35,000 CAD.
* Some of the most prestigious universities cost as high as $90,000 CAD per year
- Scholarships are available such as the Ontario Graduate Scholarship, Rotman School of Management Scholarships which offer partial to full funding. Individual scholarships are also offered by the Alberta School of Business and the Ivey Business school – Western University.
The prerequisites for MBA in Canada are as follows:
- You will need a bachelor’s degree that is from a recognized education provider and is the equivalent to the Canadian undergraduate degree.
- Canadian Schools have requirements for work experience but they differ from each other. Some schools require 1-2 years, where some other schools require 2-3 years. Some schools would also mention that work experience is preferred but not required.
- Language Requirements are a must, you will have to submit proof of English proficiency. The preferred test is IELTS, with a minimum band score of 6.5 and PTE, with a minimum score of 53.
- Statement of Purpose, is meant to be an indicator of you as an individual, and it reflects on how your experiences have shaped you. Your work experience so far, your learning’s, and what your future goals, must all be clearly outlined in the SOP.
- GRE/GMAT, is to test your ability to handle the educational load and work pressure of a university after taking a gap from your undergraduate years of study. Several Canadian universities require you to submit GMAT Scores.
Here are a few MBA Colleges with their minimum GMAT Scores:
- University of Toronto – Rotman School of Management: 600
- York University – Schulich School of Business: 600
- HEC Montreal: 630+
- McGill University – Desautels Faculty of Management: 660
- University of British Columbia – Sauder School of Business: 550
- University of Alberta: 550
- Western University – Ivey Business School: 670
- Simon Fraser University: 620
This guide could help you better understand how to map out your journey to obtaining your MBA in Canada, with high quality education at lower tuition rates, with generous work opportunities and Post-graduation work permit are all added benefits to your investment in becoming a business professional.
Team Ask Kubeir provides Study Abroad education services for study in Canada and can facilitate your admission to some of the top colleges/universities in Canada.
Use this form to complete your details and our team will get back to you with eligible options.